Thursday, March 17, 2011

Waiting for the snow to melt

I have everything ready to start my transect walks, I have the transect all setup, I have the excel sheets all made, I know the basics of what I will be recording and now the last thing I need is the snow to melt. Right now my field is almost completely melted, or there are a lot more open spots. This is very cool for two reasons, one it means I will be able to start my walks, and two there is a very cool species of bird called a Wood Cock which is sort of like a Snipe as it has a long bill and looks a lot like a shore bird, but these birds have a very unique mating ritual. There ritual involves the male bird to make a few high pitch nasally eeezp, then the male flies up in the air about 200 feet and comes spiraling down making a very neat whizzing sound. So i'm excited for when these return, this is my first real sign that spring is just right around the corner. Anyways back to the snow melt, the only problem now is that even though the snow has melted on my hill this is only a section of my transect, the rest of it is in my woods. Since there is a lot more shade in the woods the snow has not melted a whole lot, I will take a picture of it soon. In some spots there is still about two feet of snow which makes walking really obnoxious and difficult. This won't last to much longer so all in all i'm anticipating going on my first entire transect walk in a week or two.
Picture of my hill on a march morning, it is melting.

No comments:

Post a Comment