Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Update

My project is going very well, I have been entering a lot of data into excel. An example of the data I enter is when a bird shows up and how many I see on a walk. For example Tree swallows showed up for the first time on my land on April 12th and I saw 2 of them. So for the day I would write out the species I saw and then the number that I saw. 
If I can I also try and get a picture of the species of animal or plant that I see. This can be hard for birds and animals as it could just fly over and then be out of sight so that is a little tricky but here are a few pictures that I have taken of the annual migration through our area. 

This is a picture of an Oven bird, they are a type of thrush. These birds migrate from central and south america and breed around here, there song sounds like they are repeatedly saying teacher teacher teacher.

This is a picture of a Yellow-rumped Warbler, this species breeds in our woods and winters in central  america and the southern U.S. They are easily identifiable from the yellow patches that are seen on it's side.

This beautiful bird is also a migrant and is called a Rose Breasted Grossbeak, these birds also breed around here and fly down to south america during the winter. They are quite common around feeders. 

This is a picture of  a Barn swallow also a migrant from South america these birds inhabit open fields and get their name from nesting in barns or along houses.

The Barn swallow above uses this nest which is right in the center of our main entrance  to our house. This nest is quite old over 20 years and is still used as you can see they do not use white mud (we painted that part) but continue to fix up the old nest. 

1 comment:

  1. Sam--Some considerable sliding. Pick back up with the journal entries!!!

    ReplyDelete